If you have questions about how the coronavirus may impact Girl Scout activities, please contact Jennifer Sholund at email@example.com or Karen Peterlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Cookies contact: Sara Stutsman at email@example.com.
For Camp reservations contact: Amy Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Programs contact Laura Elliott at email@example.com.
For Highest Awards contact: Katie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Communications contact: Jennifer Sholund at email@example.com.
The safety of our members and their families is our highest priority. We have been closely monitoring and evaluating the impact that the CDC, Alabama Department of Health, and State re-opening guidelines might have on summer camp programs at KPC, Camp Coleman, and Camp Trico. We are aware of concerns related to health and safety and the potential risks associated with bringing girls together at camp. In order to adequately evaluate parental concerns related to summer camp programs, we convened a Summer Camp Evaluation Task Group to identify potential health and safety measures that would be expected by parents. In late April, we conducted a parent poll which received nearly 300 responses from camper families. We are also working with the American Camp Association and will have further guidance and a Field Guide soon, which will help us in our planning.
In response to the current pandemic, GSNCA has decided to pause, prepare, and pivot for this summer.
We will pause the start of summer camp and have cancelled resident and day camps, at least through June. If we are able to operate summer camp in July, this delay will allow us time to properly prepare facilities and provide training to volunteers and seasonal staff. We will host two one-week Virtual Camp experiences June 15-19 and June 22-26 (more information coming soon).
We are preparing for summer camp programs by monitoring health and safety recommendations and developing appropriate protocols to address these concerns. We are retooling camp program activities to minimize contact; provide adequate space for social distancing; and protect the health of participants and staff. If the situation allows for operation of camp in July, we will be ready with specific protocols in place and well-prepared facilities and staff.
We will pivot by combining all GSNCA staff-provided resident and day camp sessions at one location, Camp Coleman. Due to staffing, cleaning and sanitation guidelines, and program modifications, we needed to choose one camp location to minimize cost and risk. Campers currently registered for resident camp at Camp Coleman or Camp Trico will be able to transfer to resident camp sessions at Camp Coleman in July. Campers registered for Day Camp at Camp Coleman in June, will be able to switch to the new July dates. Registration for these July camp sessions is ongoing, so those who would like to transfer should do so as soon as possible.
Additionally, if operation of camps is not allowed by Alabama State re-opening guidelines or we feel we cannot safely operate resident or day camp in compliance within recommended guidelines, then we are preparing for alternative camping experiences, including Family Camp (more details coming soon) and additional Virtual Camp experiences in July.
We appreciate your understanding in the unforeseen interruption of one of Girl Scouting’s core traditions.
Camp Transfer, Refund, Campership and Cookie Program Reward Information can be found in detail below.